Skip links and keyboard navigation

Bremer Healthy Country Riparian Restoration - Freeman


(not documented)

Project lead


Queensland Government (Healthy Country Project)


(not documented)


On-ground work

Case study type


Funding source

Healthy Country Project (Queensland Government)


Bremer Focal Area Local Committee

Funding amount

(not documented)

In-kind contribution

(not documented)

Start date

1 June 2010

End date

31 December 2010


This project addresses the objectives of the wider Upper Bremer Healthy Country Waterways Restoration Project by working with the community within a defined focal area (Rosevale region) to deliver on-ground works to improve water quality in local waterways and Moreton Bay.

The Bremer Healthy Country River restoration plan undertaken by Griffith University in partnership with the Healthy Country Project identified this project site as one of highest priority sites based on sediment supply modelling from gully erosion. It was recommended that rehabilitation of these areas should incorporate fencing and riparian planting as well as works to stabilise areas prone to erosion.

Engineering works carried out in this project will prevent the further extension of a significant gully head that is contributing sediment directly into the Bremer River. During rainfall events this gully has significant flows that have caused considerable damage and loss of quality pasture land. The project aims to flood the gully head to reduce further erosion and trap sediment from entering the Bremer River.

The riparian area downstream of the works is currently infested with Chinese elm and camphor laurel, exposing banks and stream bed. Control of exotic species is essential to enhance existing natural riparian vegetation and ensure the success of re-vegetation works on the banks and toe of the gully.

Re-vegetation of the gully is essential for stabilising the toe and bank. The planting ratio is 80% sedges along the toe and up the side of steep banks in rows up to four high and approximately 50cm apart. The density of these will not only stabilise the soils but also reduce weed infestation in the long term. The remaining 20% are trees and shrubs with deep roots planted along the top of the outside banks of the riparian zone and more gently sloping banks. Due to the density of plantings, the high number of sedges used to stabilise these works has caused the cost of re-vegetation to be significantly higher than normal.

An extensive network of fencing along the length of the riparian area (1.3km) will exclude stock and protect 2.5ha of riparian area. Stock will also be excluded in the dam wall area. A small area up stream will provide a controlled water source for stock using a gravel entry point to reduce further damage to gully system. 

Variations to the original dam design configuration now involve a second by-wash that takes low level flow back to the original gully and bunds, and drains to ensure that flood plain flows re-enter the Bremer in a stable manner.
Variations to that configuration now involve a second by-wash that takes low level flow back to the original gully and bunds, and drains to ensure that flood plain flows re-enter the Bremer in a stable manner.

This project will be enhanced by similar works across the community, aimed at reducing water quality and sediment loss within the catchment.


This project will:
  • improve water quality and address the interrelated water and land management issues that are contributing to nutrients and sediment entering the Bremer River  - carry out engineering works to flood a gully to stop gully head-cutting
  • establish re-vegetation of the gully banks and toe slopes to stabilise the slopes
  • construct exclusion fencing to protect engineering works and re-vegetation sites
  • carry out weed control on camphor laurel and Chinese elm in the riparian zone to allow natural regeneration.


(not documented)

Reference ID


Last updated: 16 May 2015

This page should be cited as:

Department of Environment, Science and Innovation, Queensland (2015) Bremer Healthy Country Riparian Restoration - Freeman, WetlandInfo website, accessed 25 June 2024. Available at:

Queensland Government
WetlandInfo   —   Department of Environment, Science and Innovation